1. With a measuring tape, measure how many feet long the bed is. Then measure how many feet wide. Multiply these two figures. The total is the square foot area of that landscape bed.
2. Decide how thick you want your mulch to be (2” is average). For new landscape beds, 4” of mulch is recommended. If you are just top dressing a previously mulched bed, you may wish to use as little as 1” of mulch. Using the conversion chart below or Mulch Calculator to the right, you can figure how many cubic yards or bags of mulch, soil or gravel to order.
3. If you still have questions, please call our visit one of our stores. If you have the total area of your landscape beds calculated, we’d be glad to help you figure the amount of mulch, soil or gravel you will need.
BULK MATERIAL ONE cubic yard will cover approximately:
1296 sq. ft. 1/4″ deep
648 sq. ft. 1/2″ deep
324 sq. ft. 1″ deep
162 sq. ft. 2″ deep
108 sq. ft. 3″ deep
81 sq. ft. 4″ deep
1 square yard = 9 square feet
1 cubic yard = 27 cubic feet
Our best topsoil! Professional Blend Lawn and Garden Mix produces excellent results when applied to planting beds, vegetable gardens, lawn establishment and general landscape construction projects. Rich in organic matter, this product provides essential nutrients and helps retain moisture during hot summer months. Professional Blend is a perfect all - purpose soil for promoting stronger, healthier plants and lawns.
• Flower and vegetable gardens
• Tree and shrub installation
• Lawn establishment
• Excellent amendment to existing subsoil to improve quality
• One soil satisfies the demands of diverse plant types and growing conditions
• High organic matter content for moisture retention and nutrient availability
• Promotes strong root development in turf and planting applications
• Can be applied by hand or by a properly equipped blower machine
• Lessens the need for any additional soil amendments
• Easy cultivation and workability
Posted by Brian on 19th Jun 2017
The delivery itself was great. The driver was very cordial and helpful. Was able to pull in backwards and place directly in front of my garage despite the "Tight squeeze" The soil was very soft and easy to work with. As we were filling in our raised garden bed we found many pieces of glass anywhere from 1/2 inch to 1 inch wide. I am on a blood thinner and yikes if I had not seen it and got cut it would have been bad news!!!
After a rainfall I could see that there were many clumps of soil embedded with clay. Not exactly to my liking as clay is not the best for our native soil. We already have too much of that stuff in our earth. Also after leveling the soil it rained and there were lots of puddles on the top layer of the soil, perhaps because the soil contained some clay. I can deal with clay and soft soil but not glass embedded in the soil~~~
Posted by Kim DiCapua on 23rd May 2017
I ordered 4 yards of lawn soil from you. We were very disappointed in the quality that was delivered. Most of the soil was clumped and there were many large prices of clay. We then ordered another 4 yards of soil from The Rock Pile and it was very easy to see the difference in quality of soil.
Posted by David Smalley on 13th Aug 2016
The way this topsoil is blended provides for a very easy smoothing into the areas where you need it, and its not lumpy or difficult to break down. Very good product.
Posted by brian on 25th Apr 2016
It seems like it's good stuff, but there was quite a bit of clay in there that I had to get out before planting any seed. I thought rolling it would break most of it up but I had to go back through and take a bunch of it up and replace it with loose dirt I had left over. The grass isn't going to grow through clay. Delivery guy was great.